Monday, February 15, 2016

Status Quo Sunday Is Dead, Long Live The Status Quo Sunday

This week's jam is in no way influenced by the passing of very regressive Supreme Court Justice Scalia:


Instead it was influenced by two things:
The first one, and most prevalent to someone who would be visiting the website of someone who bills himself as a Nerdcore Punk: DEADPOOL! While it has been 7 years since Origins and as long since I've been reading up on DP and wanting this movie. I even read the leaked script from 2010.

However, both me as a person and Deadpool's portrayal in pop culture have changed significantly those past 7 years. I've seen a shitton of cosplayers at cons, his being wedged into every intersection of things that are "nerdy" and "funny" with memes of him everywhere, and the idiotic videogame, at some point along the line, I was like "OK, this is too stupid for me". The ad campaign leading up to the movie didn't help either, and at certain point I was dreading the movie. Basically, I was going in expecting this:


The Ugly: Deadpool's face. Kudos to the makeup artists and the effects people for really going hardcore on some of the body horror stuff.

The Bad: The villain was really lackluster. Like, he could have just worn a white morphsuit that just said "BAD GUY" on it and the effect would be the same. It's also not as weird as I was hoping for. It's failry standard plot for an action movie, just with everything shifted around a little.

Also, remember two paragraphs ago when I said I read the leaked script? Yeah, it spoiled some of the bigger jokes for me.

The Good: Despite all of that, Ryan Reynolds's delivery sold me on everything. It was a superhero movie with small stakes made interesting, a romantic subplot where the couple got to know each other over a year, 

Also there was a lot of shit in that script that thankfully got cut out. Spoiler: Running joke where Amy Winehouse almost dies. 

ANYTHING ELSE?
The big news this week was that I was interviewed for FandomMania's Geek Music podcast. Seriously, look how fucking rogueish I look in that picture.
geekmusicepisode44

YOU CAN DOWNLOAD IT HERE!

COOL STORY BRO.
Yeah, it was.

YOU KNOW WHAT WE WANT TO HEAR.
About?

THE MAGIC THING.
Oh yeah! I went 2-1 at Game Day. and got a crapton of spare promos they had. Abzan did fairly well, my only loss was against a Black/Red Dragons deck. On top of that, there's a special offer when-

NO, DIPSHIT. THE SONG, WHERE'S THE SONG?!?!?
Coming this Wednesday. I have everything written, and it's mixed, but there's some cuts I wanted to make, I want to get little production sounds decent, and make sure everything rolls along.

In the meantime, here's a preview of the god-tier cover art by the God Tier artist, God-Bird and you can find him at God-Bird.com:

No comments: