Monday, October 16, 2017

Status Quo Sunday Had A Very Busy Two Weeks


MY PATREON IS LIVE!















Yes, I finally made the jump into Patreon. I was waffling on it for a while, but I'm taking that step forward. Having a Patreon would help me be able to do more inbetween shows and releases, and motivate to keep working toward whatever that next step may be.

Even if you can't become a Patron, I always appreciate all of you who give me a like on Facebook or Twitter, or come out to my con shows. That's evergreen :)

"FIND THE IMMORTAL SUN" CAME OUT!




Oh yeah, THAT big thing that came out last week. Ixalan takes place on a plane with pirates, so I made the most pirate-y punk song I can think of, taking inspiration from Pirate Metal and Celtic Punk. The accoridion was a VST programmed by me, and Tsukino and Stanpai helped out on vocals. I would have liked to have more people joining in, but hopefully the awesomeness of this one is good enough.

Honestly, I feel like I've been hitting a real hot streak with my MtG songs lately. I just feel like the songs are coming out better, as I've learned more about production.


STATUS QUO RADIO IS NOW 2 YEARS OLD!




Yeah, the OTHER big thing that came out last week. Team Fortress 2 is 10 years old, and that means that Status Quo Radio is 2 years old. I put a lot of work into that album, and I'm of two minds about it: Part of me wants to do more in that setting, maybe a comic like My Chemical Romance's "Danger Days", or a movie like The Who's "Quadrophenia", while another part of me wants to move on and put together Album Number 3.

Status Quo Radio was and is a big milestone for me, and I feel bad that it didn't garner at least a little bit more attention. It was an ambitious project, and I saw it through to the end. 

Also, SO MANY THANKS to DJ Roborob for his mixing and mastering and production gewdness!

Would I do a similar thing with Overwatch? Thematically, a sequel MIGHT work. However, what made me to SQR in the first place was how different the 9 different classes in Team Fortress 2 felt and played. There's too much overlap between Overwatch's characters, and Blizzard is always adding more, so it wouldn't be as concrete. I love the game (see "Fire In The Hole"), but it might be a thing like my Magic The Gathering songs where it's constantly rolling forward.


JAM OF THE WEEK:"Rush" by Big Audio Dynamite



Oh Xenagos, this week isn't done yet?

Big Audio Dynamite was a band that Mick Jones, former guitarist of The Clash formed in the late 80's. This is one of their bigger songs, and it feels like if The Clash went even more Pop after the success of "Should I Stay Or Should I Go" ala Green Day.

I've liked the song since I was a kid, but OH MY GOD IS THIS VIDEO AWKWARD TO LOOK AT. It has all the hallmarks of a cheap 90's music video: Bad sync, shots of people outside at the beach, washed out slow mo, and MICK JONES GIVE BLOSSOM BACK HER HAT.


OFFICIAL RHYTHM BASTARD DISCORD 

As part of the stream and the Patreon. Yeah, lot of stuff for this week.

No comments: