Monday, January 4, 2016

Status Quo Sunday Has Some Sick Strats

 STATUS QUO RADIO NOW AVAILABLE ON CD!

AGDQ is back on for 2016! 
I forgot Kirby gets to be Darth Maul in the Crystal Shards game

And this week's jam is...

SPEED METAL!!!

Another song I found off of GH:TV. This sounds like a Sonic The Hedgehog theme song before Sonic the Hedgehog was even birthed. While normally I don't like a lot of metal, since at a point a lot of it runs together, Anthrax is a band I was able to get into, because they're a punk band whose testicles dropped.

MUSIC?
A LOT of stuff got backed up on my end, but there are a shitton of pages in my notebook, and this weekend was the genesis of a lot of tracks. I even hosted a songwriting stream. I made some progress, but I think they might be a little boring to watch. Still, it's an hour a week where I can sit down and dedicate myself to writing and hashing things out.

SO....?
My next song will be a cover of MC Lars' "Hot Topic Is Not Punk Rock", I just need gang vocals for that one. Other than that I'm in various planning stages, including my song for Oath Of The Gatewatch, the next Magic The Gathering set.

WHEN'S YOUR NEXT CON?
I'm working on a full post for that... soon.... but I'm going to save that for it's own post because there IS something cool for that. Right now I'm doing a large sweep of upcoming cons.

ANYTHING ELSE?
Yeah. I've been reading 33 1/3's take on the Super Mario Bros. Soundtrack.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41sfEpGIjiL._SX363_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Very interesting read so far, especially if you're well versed in either music theory or how the NES sound files work. There's a lot of unpacking to do here, since I'm not terribly well versed in either. It's very indepth, making much of what was going on with what is essentially a 3 minute long sound tracks, (4 songs: "Overworld", "Underworld", "Underwater" and "Castle" are the only 4 non-incidental tracks) even going into detail about the sound files. I'm not 100% finished yet, but this kind of stuff had to be created in an era before things like foley work and sound mixing were easily done.

At the very least it's gotten me to look at my Super Mario Series Guitar Tab Book.






http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51uUs9p8ZgL._SX373_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
Three observations:
1. These songs are awkward to play on the guitar, at least how their tabbed, or maybe my skill level.
2. Considering that technology that primitive would have troubling dealing with something like "thirds", it's impressive how much he managed to do.
3. I forgot a lot about how to read proper sheet music.

No comments: