Monday, June 14, 2010

Total Rock, Total Satisfaction

Well, to most people getting 93% average isn't mediocre, but in the Rock Band Total Rock, Total Rewards contest, it was :(.

OK, maybe I should start from the beginning. Back when the Harrah's Total Rock, Total Rewards competition was announced, I put a post up looking for band members on the site. Of course, I was still back up in school, and didn't have an Xbox, so we couldn't practice or anything, at least until June. This girl e-mails me, saying she's a singer and her boyfriend's a drummer. So we went back and forth for a while, what songs I was good at, what songs she could handle, etc.

Finally, Thursday night, it's game time. I show up early, and look around. Normally I'm a little shy in these situations, but they're Rock Band nerds like me! If it weren't for the $8 whiskey and Coke, I'd make the pilgrimage there more often, because it is a nice place. Anyway, the girl and her boyfriend come in and we talk for a bit. As it turns out, we didn't have a bassist! There was this one guy, but he wasn't up for it if we made the next round. So we finally scrounge up a guy, when, holy crap, we didn't pick a song!

So we have a drummer who's only drummed on the Ion, a singer who wavers between picking a song she's good at and "Get Up (I Feel Like Being A Sex Machine)", a bassist who actually sings and drums, and a guitarist who doesn't own the game. Now, with all that, what song do we pick?

WRONG!

"Carry On My Wayward Son"

So, our band, Last Minute got to warm up first. This was basically fucking around time, we play Chop Suey, Livin' On A Prayer and Conventional Lover. It was fun. Come game time though, I was feeling odd, like in some Zen state where I was focused on nothing but the game, yet not caring about the outcome. Maybe the 2.9 mil high score for "Get Up..." relaxed me a bit. I accepted my fate and merely live in the moment. I knew I wouldn't win, but I didn't care.

I thought about the city. I thought about how the hell Kansas and Styx were considered Prog Rock. Mostly though, I thought about all the new friends I made and just being there.

Seriously, though $8 for a mixed drink? Fuck that. I got spoiled on poor-ass Port Jefferson bars. And buying my own booze.

TL;DR: Yeah, a lot of stuff was done last minute, but it was satisfying seeing this thing through to the end.
For all 0 of you who read this blog, post about your experiences with the Harrah's Rock Band competition!

No comments: