Monday, March 22, 2010

My First Bar Gig

All right, so here's what I learned:
1. NEEDS MOAR CABLES! They had a PA system and speakers, but man, thank God the band playing after me knew what they were doing.
2. NEEDS MOAR MIKES! Yeah, that might be a worth while investment. The club didn't have one and neither did I.
3. GO LATER! Let's see, there were the bar employees, my parents, one of the guys I live with, and the band playing later. So, while it was great I couldn't be "judged", I couldn't be judged.
4. NEEDS MOAR PRACTICE! I tried playing Clash City Rockers that night, and because I forgot how it goes, I fucked up. THAT WAS THE SONG I ENDED MY SETLIST WITH.

Great, now here's the breakdown:
SEVEN NATION ARMY- ***
How could I fuck up Seven Nation Army? When I try to sing and play guitar at the same time. I remembered the words, but singing them WHILE playing? What am I, coordinated?
FORCE-A-NATURE- *****
My originals I'm doing better on. No missed chords, the solo was decent, and I had the proper guitar to do the kill-off with.
HOLIDAY- ****
Another song I'm getting better at. The strumming pattern and the singing pattern don't quite match up, and I kept singing in the wrong key, but I think everyone likes the line "*CSSH* The representative from [Port Jefferson] has the floor"
ARE YOU GONNA BE MY GIRL- *****G
If there is anything to get out of feeling like shit at these shows, it's this: I'm getting better at these songs. The crowd (a.k.a. My parents) clapped along, and I knew what to look out for since last time.
SHE SELLS SANCTUARY- ****
Didn't remember how this song went, but I managed to fake it long enough.
RADIO DAYS PT. 1- *****
The solos I weren't to sure of, but other than that, I think I got it down.
CLASH CITY ROCKERS- FAIL
See above.

The bands I actually saw, Purple Operator and Yellow Birds were what I'd call "soft indie", but I enjoyed them nonetheless.

So, I'm the Rhythm Bastard. I fail so you don't have to.

No comments: