Friday, March 12, 2010

The Bastard Was A Man

Just finished the first collection of Mike Hammer detective novels. Good reads, but the last line of the last book, Vengence Is Mine!, is a little WTF. It is paraphrased above.

So anyway, I have SO MUCH STUFF here, and not ONE of them a song update! This is why it's called the Rhythm Bastard Experiment and not the Rock Band Experiment.

1.
Finally able to get my hands on Xbox 360 and try out the song in Audition Mode. There were a lot of MIDI errors the first go around.
Most common mistakes:
-Make sure all your lyrics and notes are ALIGNED. Shift+A does the trick.
-NAME ALL THE TRACKS. Just put a little event before hand.
-It can be easy to lose track of where stuff like Overdrive because it is so far removed from the rest of the notes, I got a shitton of "inappropriate note at XXX" errors.
-EVERYTHING IS .WAV. NO EXCEPTIONS.
-Set the SAMPLE FORMAT to 16-bit. The rate is the standard 44.1K, except for the dry vocals, which are 16K.
-TURN UP SAID .WAVS LOUD. Otherwise, you won't get any lipsync, let alone hear the damn thing.

So, this weekend, as well as making another song and doing my lab report, I'll make those improvements and maybe dick around with the event settings.

2. FUCK YEAH GREEN DAY ROCK BAND JUNE 8TH HOLY SHIT FREE EXPORT WITH PREORDER OMG BRAIN STEW!

3. MARCH 10th OPEN MIC NIGHT.
There were only about 5 people there. Three I knew. Now, let me tell you all the stuff that went wrong: First, my tuning peg was fucked. Normally I'd have gone through all the work tuning it at the beginning and then pray it lasts through the night. NOPE. So, thank God my friend had an extra guitar he was able to lend, but I sat there awkwardly with the only 3 people who've yet to leave.
Did I mention that? Yeah, it was pretty dead. Only one other guy managed to show up, so it was those people, two of my friends from the paper, and the guy who lent me the guitar.
The show went on, and well, here's the breakdown...
RADIO DAYS-***
Is it possible to forget the chords to your own song? Yes! I picked it up later, and the solo went on longer than I expected.

FORCE-A-NATURE-***
The chord changes in the chorus of "Force Of Nature" are pretty close together, so I messed that up, as well as the first part of the solo.

DAYMAN- *****G
No video, but at the clapping part, everyone "Woo!"ed in that split second of silence. I think I might hate my friends.

ARE YOU GONNA BE MY GIRL?- ****
In the video I took, I hated my voice, but I had so much fun doing it. I also played the opening riff in the wrong key AND waited too long for one of the verse breaks.
Still, I had fun.

KNOWLEDGE- ****
Forgot where I was toward the beginning because GENIUS ME COULDN'T FIGURE OUT THE VOLUME KNOB ON THE GUITAR, but other than that, I liked it. I based it more off the Green Day cover of the song, which has a lot more relaxed strumming pattern, like blues.

Vids will come up at some point, but I got another Open Mic on Tuesday. HOPEFULLY NOTHING GOES WRONG THIS TIME!!!!

Despite all that, it was like playing for all my friends. I felt a lot more comfortable, and my camera guy, Steve, is super cool, and we will jam in the future.

Hopefully this will actually work, unlike my previous band.

No comments: