Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Row Of Desolation

All right, Sunday night, I'm dropping my friends off after we took a road trip to a store I thought sold old video games. They get off, when K-Rock's "B Local" show starts up. They kick off with My Chemical Romance's cover of Bob Dylan's "Desolation Row" made for the upcoming "Watchmen" movie. I've never really liked My Chemical Romance, (save for "Dead!" in Guitar Hero 2, and even then the novelty wore off), and never heard much of Dylan, so ths should be interesting. I was expecting to hear something wimpy and screamo, but this is my first thought when I heard the song:
"What the fuck? Is this The Sex Pistols?"

Seriously, the thumping bass drums, the constant power chords, it sounded a bit like "God Save The Queen".

Granted, in turning it into a 3 1/2 minute punk song, it takes away a lot of meaning from the Dylan original, since it was meant to set a scene, but it's not that bad. I heard they were going to make the song longer, but the label told MCR to cut it down. So it's not like they're totally ruining the original. My main concern is that it doesn't fit with the tone of Watchmen. The original was dreary and foreboding, but this is like "FUCK YEAH! SHIT GON' GO DOWN!" At least it's going on during the credits, after the ending, which they understandably changed. What did they change you ask? I'll save that for after I see the movie.

But still, read the book.

Anyway, I'm using this as an opportunity to announce "Bonus" songs. These aren't the bonus songs from the games, but really songs outside of that scope entirely that I either learned before the RB Experiment or plan on learning. These come sporadically, but I'm announcing when I'll be posting the lessons for the first two right now:

Feburary 25th: "Clash City Rockers" by The Clash and/or "Shipping Up To Boston" by Dropkick Murphys
March 6th: "Desolation Row" by My Chemical Romance

No comments: