how's it look? Maybe Thrash RB?
There's been a lot going on: Namely, moving in with my boyfriend and have album number 5 coming out, and I think with that, it might be time for a change. I don't think my attitude has changed at all in the 15+ years I've been doing this, still love Rhythm games, still love being a cheeky bastard, and still love learning how to do things.
Working on the song "R-H-Y-T-H-M", as much as it is a banger, kinda was a bad idea if it was necessary to teach people to spell the first name of my act. Also Bastard gets censored in a lot of places and considering that my year in cons have been sparse, that might be costing me a little.
Now, this isn't a cynical ploy to further entrench myself in the furry space, and not me quitting, just a matter of re-evaluation. Thrash has been the "mascot" here for quite a while, and considering I'm also redoing his 3D model and stream backgrounds, like my album "I Know What I'm Doing", a hard cut could bring some new energy. And Thrash has been the focus of my online presence since like 2020. You know me more as a buff raccoon man than a buff bespectacled man.
Even places where my work is celebrated like Fox In The Fedora, Voice Of Dog and Fastest Furs, they tend to avoid using "Bastard" when credit me. This isn't a knock against them, they are all wonderful people/organizations you should support.
These concerns have been bogging me since the beginning. "No, keep it!" people would say, and they'd laugh about how unique it is and then misspell Rhythm. As far as most people's attitude goes, anything with Bastard is looked at the same way you'd see an act called the Piss Fuckers or something like that. It's time, especially if I want to make a play for more bigger things like for being a composer and getting my music in Stage Tour/whatever new Rhythm Games come out. I'm still me, I'm still making stuff and still streaming.
For the case against: entropy. Yes, there's a lot for me to change. Yes, there's also the fact that people see a broad shouldered guy with glasses and point at me like Leo in that one movie I haven't seen. But if I'm in a subculture that readily accepts people's new identity, be they names, genders or fursonas, then why should I worry?
It's a very difficult thing to think about in such an online world where EVERYTHING can be traced and social media has forced us to think of ourselves as "brands" rather than people, which is weird thing to bring up since this whole post is about a rebrand. Changing that does feel like becoming a whole new person, and I feel like I'll lose whatever "social capital" I've gained from it. That sentence feels like the death of humanity as we know it and I can visualize The Sims negative relationship icons flash as if I told you all I was exclusively using AI.
If the bast few months have taught me anything, is that it's to push past the insecurities and focus on what you want, rather than catastrophize about what could go wrong.
I want to have the same opportunities that making music has always given me: put on shows, get noticed by new people and be a part of cool things.
Whether it'll be as Rhythm Bastard or Thrash Panda, that will not be changing.

No comments:
Post a Comment