Saturday, January 30, 2010

No, HE Wrote Holden Caulfield

A couple days ago, J.D. Salinger, the man best known for "Catcher In The Rye", died. If you don't know what that is, then welcome to the Rhythm Bastard Experiment MY ONLY READER UNDER FIVE.

You mention that book, and you'll hear basically 2 different opinions:
1. "It was an awesome book! It changed my life!"
2. "I hated reading it. I only went through with it for English class."

And this all boils down to your opinion of the book's protagonist, Holden Caulfield. The people in Camp 1 see him as an anti-hero for the masses. A rebellious, unappreciated, misunderstood intellectual who doesn't care for the world society has imposed upon him.
The people in Camp 2 see him as a spoiled brat, who's very nature predicted both the emo AND the hipster.

Either way, you have read it, because it's considered a classic.

Which camp did I fall under, you ask?
I first read that book in the 8th grade, and I didn't put Holden in either of the two groups. To me, he was like a cool older brother who told you stories of all the crazy stuff he's done.
So, gun to my head, consider me in the Pro-Holden camp. I didn't think he was great because of his "intellect", or whatever Mary Sue powers the fanatics give him. I thought he was great because he was at least out there, on his own.

Now, what I REALLY brought you here for is some Green Day:


This was the song I wanted to teach you, but it's simple enough. Instead, I'll use this to highlight something I always liked about Green Day:
e-------------------------------------|
b-------------------------------------|
g-------------------------------------|
D---4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7---|(x2)
A---4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7---|
E---2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5---|

Those chords aren't played straight through, there's always a lot of swing, like it's blues.

I dunno. I'm in a weird mood today.

More tribute videos? Of course.



You guys can just shut up.

OK, never mind, I like that song...

No comments: