Monday, September 28, 2015

Status Quo Sunday and the Return Of The King

This week's jam:


OK, so I moved recently.

Not to a new city or state, mind you, I'm actually closer to work. But we did downsize if just for a little bit. I'm still setting things up down here, but between work, and unpacking, the music's been rough going.

Now, I don't want this to be entirely a post where it's like, YEAH KICKSTARTER'S STILL GOING...
 etc. But, here's some lessons I've learned over the past couple weeks:

1. Promoting shit is INCREDIBLY difficult on a phone.
Mobile browsers are very limiting, and you can't trust shit typing in an email on said mobile phone. I had to spam this goddamn thing everywhere, and I received messages on KS for people who would gladly help me with that.

I went to an UltraCon single day event, and collected some business cards for some interesting opportunities, but I couldn't do anything for the past couple weeks, and ON TOP of that, the Rock Band Road Crew had its deadline set for September 17th, while I was still out. So, without a desk and internet, I had to cobble something together that I eventually got rejected for.

Really, it felt like my life was on pause, waiting for all the bullshit to clear so I can get back to work. That's no excuse, and I'm learning to deal with that, but holy shit it's stressful. Oh, it's possible to get by, but impossible these days if you have anything that needs to be shared with the world.

2. Sometimes you feel like the only capable one...
Still living with my family, and the "We're fucked in a zombie apocalypse" short version is this: My Dad's suffering from back problems, my Mom can't lift heavy things and doesn't want to lighten the load, and my brother is more concerned with making sure his PS3 games are alphabetized than keeping everyone on task or learning what a Phillips-head screwdriver is. I feel like I'm the only one going anywhere in life and these people are holding me back.

It's one of those times when "Going Galt" (referring to the book Altas Shrugged, when all the rich people leave) seems tempting, with the weight of the world bearing down on your shoulders to just shrug it off.

Just imagine them struggling putting together a desk or moving a box that's "too heavy" and they'll have to learn to DEAL WITH IT. They might learn something! Holy shit!

http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1405868167l/662.jpg

Randian Objectivism is bullshit. It seems that you're needed for everything all the time everywhere, but you are still but a human being, dealing with other human beings and there is a lot other people have to put up with. I was at work most of the time everyone else was packing, so I couldn't see what they were going through.

So at this point, communication becomes key.

Let others know when and if so, how, you're feeling overwhelmed, ask others for help, to lighten your load and make your limits perfectly clear.

Though me and my brother carrying heavy shit up a narrow flight of stairs and you say "Don't scratch the walls?"

Fuck that noise.

3. Learn to let it go
Want to know how to piss off a serial hoarder? Play this while you're moving...


I'm still unpacking everything and learning how to put it away. It's incredible how much STUFF you can acquire over the course of a couple years. I've gotten into Magic the last time we moved, I've started selling T-shirts, etc. But I've tried to keep it manageable. I'm making a run to donate what I don't need, thinning out my bookshelf and looking for stuff to throw out. I'm trying to decide what stuff I need

Meanwhile, my Mom was trying to move every damn item we acquired to a smaller place, to the point where we had to get a storage unit. If you have to get a storage unit, it's time to get rid of it, I say.

I voulenteered to pay for anything we've missed provided we get the bullshit over with sooner, she said no.

I still remember when we originally moved from New York, she was almost in tears because we might leave behind a jug of laundry detergent. Granted, any armchair psychologist can tell you it wasn't about the detergent, it was that we could leave behind something. And we couldn't throw anything out, because "We Might Use It In The Future".

This sounds like petty complaining, but I'm trying to parse this into a clever little saying you can keep in your pocket, so I'll leave you this:

Ask yourself these three questions, always:
Why do I hold on to what I have? 
How can you better use what you have?
Who can use what you don't need?

Dear Hallmark, please give me all the money dollars for this greeting card bullshit.
Sincerly,
R. Bastard, esq.


MIZUCON ON FRIDAY!!


No comments: