Saturday, January 7, 2012

Rocksmith Thoughts

Wanted to post this up while I was still thinking about it:
1. I've been playing guitar for almost 5 years, and I can still say this is worth getting. There's a lot to do here, and there is always something to push you out of your comfort zone.

2. Rock Band 3 and this game can happily coexist on my shelf. Rocksmith is for me, Rock Band 3 is for me and my friends.

3. No punk, save for "Go With The Flow" by Queens Of The Stone Age and "Song 2" by Blur (and that's with a very liberal interpretation of punk). All of the songs are focused around riffs, as opposed to chords. It's a smart decision for a teaching game, since it places finger dexterity and learning to find the frets as a main priority.

For example, the first two songs in the "Campaign" mode are "Satisfaction" by The Rolling Stones and "Next Girl" by The Black Keys. The latter was the first song I mastered, whereas the former gets tricky in the pre-chorus. Regardless, they're two songs that get you used to the idea of moving your fingers.

4. The song list really is as hit or miss as it gets. A lot of the classic rock stuff really connects, but a lot of the new music is indie and alt rock and takes some getting used to. A couple breakouts for me were "Angela" by Jarvis Cocker, and "Where Is My Mind?" by The Pixies. The Tom Petty and Eric Clapton songs were a lot less fun then I was expecting, until they got to the solos, and while I haven't mastered them yet, it'll be a bitch when those sections get harder.

5. Speaking as someone who is partially colorblind, it was pretty easy to tell the difference between the strings. One of the problems I have is "finding" the strings by going up and down. Something like "Rebel Rebel" or "Sweet Home Alabama" throw me off.

6. One thing I noticed with the adaptive difficulty: It starts you off with single notes, then once you "master" that section, it moves up to chords. However, whereas you would be playing the full rhythm with the single notes, it slows everything back down when chords are introduced. The progressive difficulty thing is very well done.

7. "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction", "Higher Ground" and "Plug In Baby" are the Squat, Bench Press and Deadlift for me of this game (for now at least).
"(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction": 83,735
"Higher Ground": 91,935
"Plug In Baby": 100,329

8. This game is totally fucking up my head with the RBN difficulty stuff.

State Of The Bastard Address January 11th.

No comments: