Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Echo Chamber Post Game Episode 86

TRIGGER WARNING: FUCKING AWESOME PODCAST

-The best thing about these episodes is that I always go "MAN! I should totally animate that!" then I think "Fuck! I have a 8-to-5 job! Fuck!" 

-YuGiOh is always a tricky dick with me. Though I did take my brother to a sneak preview event for one of the sets a few months ago, and pulled a $50 card. He should have sold it, but instead he traded it for stuff in the decks he'll never play. I try to get him to go to the stuff my FNM location has, but he always finds some reason to bail "I DON'T HAVE MY PERFECT DECK! I WORK! I DIDN'T DO SO WELL LAST TIME!"

Unlike Magic, sets don't really have a theme, like Theros and Greek/Roman mythology. Instead of playtest and design making sure the flavor of the card and mechanics are juuuust right, YGO just goes "YO, MOTHERFUCKER, HAMBURGER ROBOTS!!!" and calls it a day. Then it puts a page and a half of rules text on the card whereas MtG would go like "Hexproof" or "Trample" only occasionally giving you reminder text.

BUT YO, HAVE YOU SEEN THESE HAMBURGER ROBOTS? USE THEIR LASER EYES TO ZAP THE BELLY BUTTON OF THE HIPPO KING DEVIL LANCER AND HIS CROWN FALLS ON TOP OF YOU FOR 7000 LIFE POINTS.

"Not so fast, Yugi-"

WHAT?

"I activate my trap card, Digital Data Apocalypse! It allows me to exile 5 cards into the the graveyard, including your Hamburger Robots!"

HMM! I BELIEVE IN THE HEART OF THE CARDS!!! AND MY FAITH HAS REWARDED ME WITH...GO-GO HENSHIN SYNCRO PYRONMATRIX!!!

you get the idea. But doesn't that sound like a REAL Yu-Gi-Oh match?

Interesting premise, but you can tell the game was meant for maximum drama and parental confusion, as the original manga was DBZ with cardboard rectangles instead of fists.

Now that I think about it, Yugi Moto isn't that good at the game. His power seems to just topdeck whatever he needs and POWAR OF FREENDSHUP!!!


-Kingdom Hearts 2.5 HD Remix comes out December 2nd.
No Persona til then :(

-Speaking of Kingdom Hearts, this is always relevant:


-The image Mystakin was talking about:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrGl6zXCUAAGTu2.jpg:large

I wonder what the FFXIV equivalent of pot would be like. Phoenix Down? Ether? Salve would seem to fit the bill, since it sounds so much like salvia.

-Rocksmith, still a good game. This week's DLC, The Libertines, was underwhelming, but it's always good to see them mix shit around from week to week. As long as they go metal one week, then punk, classic rock, alternative, etc. it should keep people happy for at least the next edition. Rock Band had a lot of off weeks as well, but it also had the Rock Band Network in later incarnations to help smooth things out.

I'm approaching the point where some songs I have to slow down and go in to Riff Repeater, and I think that will be the point where most people either double down on "I WILL MASTER YOU GUITAR-OO BAN-KAAIIIII!!!!" or go "Eh, I'll play this Radiohead song I kinda know again." only to drop it after another month. 

-THE BAZ IS IN SHOVEL KNIGHT

If you don't know who he is, watch here.I'm glad Matt and Woolie managed to fit this guy into so many awesome videjo games.

Shovel Knight is pretty dope. $15 bucks get you a mishmash of all your favorite NES Platformers, that manages to be its own thing. AND it's got a New Game Plus.

No comments: