Friday, February 3, 2017

Status Quo Wednesday Celebrates Black Current-cy Month


TINY DESK ENTRY


NPR's Tiny Desk Contest was due this past week, so I farted out an entry 30 min before the deadline. I figured "Status Quo Radio" was that fine line between "Sounds good for NPR" and "Trupunx". Still, I'm on a hot streak with putting up video content!

JAM OF THE WEEK: "Q.U.E.E.N." by Janelle Monae


It's Black History Month (which I'm making Black Current-cy Month), and I firgured I'd focus these jams on black artists I like who are doing cool stuff today.

First up, Janelle Monae. I've gushed about her before on this site, but she deserves way more attention, even with two movies coming out in 2016. "Q.U.E.E.N." is the first single of her 2013 album The Electric Lady, and while "Dance Apocalyptic" is my favorite track, this one can't be discounted, because it was the song that got me into her.

The music video starts off in this very clean, elegant museum, while a voice over talks about "time traveling rebels". Then the sick guitar riff kicks in and so it begins, slowly ramping up until Erykah Badu's verse breaks it down to the slick bassline. Finally, top it off a tight, defiant verse set to so,ething striaght out of a James Bond movie.

"Q.U.E.E.N." is everything thing I love about J.M.'s music: smooth, weird and proud.

I wanted to see Hidden Figures, where she plays one of the black female NASA mathematicians that helped launch the programs' first sucessful space missions but it's a movie and apparently I don't watch movies.

GIANT ROM 4!
Giant Bomb's Game Jam is going on right now, and I'm working on a project with frequent I'd Rather Not guest Trace Evans. The themes for this edition were "ONE GIANT CHOMP" and "EAST VS. WEST".
EXCLUSIVE PREVIEW













SHIT YEAH.

No comments: