Thursday, June 16, 2016

Status Quo Sundaymania RUNS WILD ON FANDOMANIA

OK, I am aware a lot of bad shit went down this weekend, but I don't want want bury the lead here, so first up:
FLORIDA FANDOMANIA SCHEDULE
SATURDAY JUNE 18TH
Mini Concert- 10:30 AM In Main Events
They're looking for some entertainment as soon as the con opens, so I'm going to be jamming a bit for the early part of the day.

Intro To Magic The Gathering- 6:00 PM In Panel Room
Want to know about that card game I'm always running my dang mouth about? Come and learn it here!

Hero Within Us Anti-Bullying Benefit Concert- 9:00 PM In Main Events
A small set as part of the benefit concert against bullying, where I'll probably be doing an encore of what I'm about to write.

SUNDAY JUNE 19TH
Combat Musical- 3 PM In Main Events
Another shorter set as part of a larger event, but I'm not quite sure what it is yet, but I'll be there.

Sadly, I will not be able to attend the Geek Easy benefit which is the same weekend, but you can find more info here.

THIS WEEK'S JAM:


I was going to skip this part completely since Orlando found itself victim to not one, but TWO shootings over the weekend.

The first was on Saturday where former The Voice competitor Christina Grimmie was killed during an autograph signing. The second was a mass shooting at the gay club Pulse, also in Orlando, where 50 were killed and 53 were injured. I'll link below ways in which you can help.

IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN HELPING THOSE AFFECTED BY THE PULSE SHOOTING IN ORLANDO, YOU CAN FIND MORE INFO HERE.

Of course, when this came across my YouTube subscriptions, I had to throw it up here since it KEEPS HAPPENING.


Now, there's a lot to this story, how the shooter was known for making racist and homophobic remarks beforehand, he was on the terrorist watch list but was still able to acquire an AR-17, etc, but the thing everyone tends to overlook is his age.

He was 29. For reference, I'm 28. Then I got curious. The Sandy Hook shooting perpetrator and that kid who shot up that church last year were born in 1992, the same year as my younger brother.

This bullshit hatred isn't going to die out with our parent's generation. More than "selfies" or "always be textin'", that is going to be the greatest tragedy of my generation, because more than ever, we have the capability to stop it.

Every day, I carry around a device in my pocket that lets me look into people's daily lives, where they can share their experiences, both good and bad. If I'm unsure of something, I can look it up. If I post up something, people can talk back to me, and I can learn from that. Ignorance is no longer an excuse to otherize our fellow human beings.

But the second a marginalized group speaks their mind, we shut them down. "Why is everyone so offended these days?" Now more than ever, people can let you know they're offended. Now more than ever, the marginalized can have their voices heard. You just weren't used to hearing it. "Fucking SJWs!" "It's just a joke!", "Here come the PC Police!" is all bullshit spouted by (mostly) men my age, when really there's no reason to. Those complaints all boil down to "I'm fine with the status quo, please don't make me change." which is absolute nonsense in an era where time and time again, we've been "staying the course" and it's led to a lot of lives lost to war and poverty when it didn't need to.

We let this happen. With the amount of data at our fingertips, we can help make sure it doesn't happen again; 








No comments: