Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Status Quo Sunday Goes -.---.----.. And Then Shuts Down

Damn it America, I leave you for two days, and I find out the Republicans got all butthurt and shut down the government. ON TOP OF THAT, the hotel I was in didn't have RAW.
 
I was at a conference for work the past couple of days, so I couldn't do my usual Status Quo Sunday. It was a thing for work, and was boring as all get out. Since I arrived in YYZ airport, I give you this video:


Good news I used my idle boredom and starting working on new song concepts. With people literally throwing pens and pads at you, it was kind of hard not to write shit down.

I just discovered the Voice Recorder App on my phone, and I've been putting it to good use. Just the fact that I have a voice recorder I have ANYWHERE, makes up for the lack of a proper songwriting-on-the-go app.

So far I've only used it to record a podcast in the vein of Mark Rosewater's "Drive To Work" about my various adventures in Friday Night Magicing (don't worry, I'll use a separate site for it, since it is Magic related), but for little side things, it could come in handy. 

On the (long, ardouous) flights there and back, I took the time to read some of the independent books I bought stuff from at conventions. I was only able to make it through "Souled" and "Blackbird", and both have interesting premises that I look forward to seeing more of. 

Souled is sci-fi mystery about a transport ship that gets attacked and crash lands on a planet, and Blackbird is Native American mythos, mixed with Lovecraftian horror, where all I need to say is "Cthulu Hookers". This habit of mine started at New York City Comic Con, where I picked up this comic Twisted Dark, a short story anthology that I really liked. Honestly, the fact that such a scene exists, and me seeing it first hand continues to inspire me to do what I do.
 
For a song I'm tentatively titling "Class 5 Alpha", I had to redo it, but it only took me an hour or two to redo all the guitar work, so we're good. I should have it ready soon, and my mailing list peeps will get first listen before I post it up on SoundCloud.   


No comments: