Wednesday, February 4, 2009

He Looked Back In Anger

From The Escapist (article), Noah Gallagher offers his opinion on Guitar Hero:
"When I meet kids I always say to them that playing a guitar is not a f**king videogame, there is no level to get to," he said. "You'll never master it and you'll never complete the game."

"I've never heard of [Guitar Hero]," he said. "I suppose I'm a bit old fashioned. Whatever your entry point into music is, it has to be a good thing. It's just so worthwhile getting into."

"If it puts little plastic guitars into kids' hands and fires their imaginations, I think that's a good thing," Gallagher admitted. "It's harmless fun, isn't it?"

"I'd rather that genre of videogames than somebody getting their f**king head chopped off with a samurai sword while getting f***ked by a goblin up the arse with a laser," he said. "Do you know what I mean?"

We've heard from John Mayer, Nickelback, and now Oasis who isn't enjoying the ride on the rhythm game money train.

But of all the haters, I like his opinion the best. He acknowledges the very large gap (despite that I'm trying to impart video game like rules on to it), but doesn't disown it. Hell, the YOU'LL NEVER MASTER IT AND YOU'LL NEVER COMPLETE IT statement speaks volumes. Think about, you can FC "Through The Fire And Flames", but you can't really FC any song in real life, since there's always going to be room for improvisation, and the best part? You can make your own songs!

From what I hear, it works a lot better that Guitar Hero: World Tour's song creator.

No comments: