Monday, January 19, 2009

I'm An Amplitude Dude

Guys, Amplitude, the game that first indroduced me to Harmonix, might be coming back, according to this interview.

Relevant part:
Ars Technica: We spoke to someone else at Harmonix about Amplitude, and I believe Sony owns that property?
Rigopulos: They do, yeah.
Ars Technica: Has there been a conversation about bringing that game to the PlayStation Network? You've proven the formula, and you can say "From the people who brought you Rock Band."
Rigopulos: Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Ars Technica: It seems like it would be a mutually beneficial thing to do.
Rigopulos: I would love to. That game is still close to my heart. I love it. I'd love to do a sequel to Amplitude, actually. It's an issue of prioritization. It's challenging enough to keep the Rock Band train on the tracks. (Editors note: earlier that day, Rigopulos had announced that there
would be no new Rock Band sequel in 2009, in order for Harmonix to focus fully on the Beatles title.) We've grown from about 80 or 90 people a couple years ago to more than 300 now, and managing that kind of growth takes focus.
For us, that lingering question of "what are we going to do about Amplitude" is still very much out there. I would love to come back and do it right for the PlayStation 3, for example.
Ars Technica: Has there been a conversation with Sony about that?
Rigopulos: Oh, yes. They... I think they recognize that the environment for that game is different now than it was six years ago when it was first released. I'd love to see us come back to it at some point.


Amplitude was the true precursor to Rock Band. You had to "blast" these notes on different highways, and each represented a different instrument. Coolest however, was the ability to remix the songs, and change tempo, beats, and melodies, beating Guitar Hero World Tour by 5 years. It was a club-heavy song list, but I liked it.

No comments: