Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Status Quo Sunday Watches Over You

OUT CON THIS SATURDAY! 

My show goes on at 3:00 PM, and I'm going to be busting out a lot of new material!

This week's jam:


Flobots feat. Rise Against? Well, color me intrigued. A rallying cry for pacifism in the Flobot's own unique way,  complimented by Tim McIlrath's belting out the chorus. Flobots hover really close to a straight hip-hop/rap group, because both "singers" just spit rhymes. They're both talented, and are backed by a band that can provide some dynamics beats. They even have a violinist!

Most of my time these days is spent applying for jobs, and I've been feeling kind of depressed and unmotivated because there's nothing for me to do throughout the day except be "on call" for when I'm needed. I'm just stuck in between pushing forward in this time I have available and trying to double down on a new job, but the latter is going slowly and the former is cut with "Do You Have Any Plans Today?"

I've also been working on prepping my set for OUTCon and playing a shitton of Overwatch while the Beta is still public. I had lots of fun with it, and will most likely pick it up, but I don't think I'll write an album with it like I did for TF2.

The reason why I was able to write Status Quo Radio the way I did was because each of the 9 classes in TF2 are so distinct, doing one thing very well, lending to 9 separate playstyles. Overwatch has 20 heroes (I had trouble writing 12 songs, so imagine that hassle) and operate on more of a gradient. For example, here are a couple classes that can be snipers, such as the two heroes Hanzo and Widowmaker, but they operate in different ways, the former having an ultimate that can obliterate multiple enemies, and the latter in possession of an assault rifle and a grappling hook allowing for faster paced combat.

At first glance, it seems likes characters are missing something key, rather than filling a particular niche but in it's own way it caters to a particular type of player rather than a specific type of role on the battlefield. There are heroes I'm better at (like Soldier 76 and Roadhog), and some I'm terrible at (most of the support characters) but nobody seems "useless" more like "nobody's broken them yet".

Anyway, working on new shit, will resume streaming, but I will post up a full breakdown of OUTCon next week. Laters!


No comments: