Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Status Quo Sunday Kicks It Old School

SUPERCON RETRO!

I'm playing not one but TWO shows that weekend!

Saturday, April 15th- 7:15 PM
MACC 2

Sunday, April 16th- 5:30 PM
MACC 1

More details to come! I just had a conversation with the production crew, and they seem like they're 100% on point, so I'm looking forward to that!

THIS WEEK'S JAM: "Scenario" by A Tribe Called Quest


"Why this song?" you ask. Well, ever since Harmonix showed off their recently announced game DropMix, I became intrigued with some of the lesser known songs on the setlist.

http://webcdn.harmonixmusic.com/media/blog/featured/DropMix_Header_-_TM.png

I like the song, it's one of those raps from back in the day where 7 people had verses that went on forever, but can we talk about the music video here?

No, can we? Because this takes me back to something I'm even more familiar with: Multimedia CD-ROMs.  Oh, all the CD Encyclopedias and barebones video editing programs I dicked around with in school! Looking back from 2017, there's nothing crazy going on here, but there's lots of little neat cues that bring it above "thing a 10-year-old can replicate now"

WHATCHA PLAYIN?
All right, here we go:
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/4sVJvvZPy88/maxresdefault.jpg
Not A Hero- A side scrolling shooter I got from Chrono.GG. I only paid 5 bux for it, which is my limit for something like this. While you might feel like it's a runner and gunner, it's more of a cover shooter, where it's best to slide from cover to cover, taking shots when you have the opportunity.

You play assassins who have been tasked with cleaning up crime in the city so that Bunnylord can be elected Mayor. Bunnylord is the purple guy in the middle there.

The humor both works and doesn't work for me? Bunnylord will say things like "Shooting bad guys in the face is totes awesome sauce" which is the kind of shit that belongs in a D-Tier Deadpool comic, but I never found myself hating it too much. Primarily because I imagine Bunnylord saying it straight faced in his alien, warbled language, and I'm down for that.

Not particularly interesting otherwise, wait for a sale.

Sentinels Of The Multiverse- Another game I got for 5 bucks, but this one is the digital version of the tabletop game of the same name, like Star Realms. It's barebones, relying on online multiplayer (which I haven't tried) and the weekly "one shots" that give you a different challenge to work through. There's also a lot of microtransactions for DLC with expansions for new heroes and new scenarios.

It can get pretty costly, but when you consider how expensive the base game is, at roughly $50 for all the expansions in a more accesible form is nothing to sneeze at.


No comments: